A beloved television news anchor from Atlanta, Georgia has been diagnosed with incurable brain cancer.

Channel 2 Action News reported that 53 year-old anchor Jovita Moore has glioblastoma, which is an aggressive form of cancer that can affect the brain or spinal cord. While there is no cure, her doctors say that Moore will undergo radiation and chemotherapy to slow the progress of the cancer.

Moore, who is a mother to three children, had revealed to fans back in April that doctors had found two masses in her brain that would require surgery. They have since discovered that these masses were cancerous.

Channel 2 Action News stated that Moore “has felt the love and prayers” that have poured in since she went public with this news, and “is grateful for all the support and asks that you stay positive as she continues to focus on her health, her treatments and her family.”

“Jovita is tough and ready for this fight,” they added.

Moore is an Emmy-winning anchor who has been with the station for 23 years. Her good friend Condace Pressley, the community and public affairs director at the station, said that Moore is staying positive in the wake of her diagnosis.

“Our girl is strong,” Pressley said. “Our girl is a fighter and she’s doing great every day.”

“We laugh and you know sometimes we talk about stuff and we may cry a little bit. but at the end of the day, she is a fighter, and she is surrounded by love and prayers and positivity,” she continued. “She’s a very strong woman and is raising three very strong kids who are, as we all are, right there with her.”

Dr. Edjah Nduom, Moore’s surgeon at Emory University Hospital, said that the anchor has “done fantastic” so far with treatment.

“I was actually able to see her in clinic a couple of weeks ago,” Nduom said. “She was in good spirits, she was with friends and family as always.”

Moore explained to viewers back in April that severe headaches are what prompted her to go to the doctor.

“I was really concerned about why all of a sudden I was forgetful, disoriented and just not feeling myself,” she said at the time. “Feeling like I was in a fog and really wanting to get out of that fog.”

Moore almost passed out at a grocery store not long after that, and she was rushed to the hospital. That’s when a brain scan showed the two tumors.

“It’s significant. It’s gonna be a lot. Two little tumors kind of near each other and they got to go,” she said before undergoing surgery. “We had to start then having a conversation about what that was and what that meant.”

Moore went on to say that she decided to go public with this news because she “didn’t want to just disappear from air for a couple months and I wanted people to know what was going on.”

“Also, I want to feel that energy, that outpouring and that support as well,” the seasoned news anchor added. “I know they’re gonna bring it. I know we have great viewers. I know that the prayer warriors are gonna be at work.”

Join the Discussion

COMMENTS POLICY: We have no tolerance for messages of violence, racism, vulgarity, obscenity or other such discourteous behavior. Thank you for contributing to a respectful and useful online dialogue.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
More Stuff