A Tennessee police officer who was preparing to retire after fifty years son the force tragically died on his way home from his last day of work on March 19.

A GoFundMe page states that Stan Shaw was on his way home from his final day of work last week when he suffered a medical emergency and passed away.

“He was found unresponsive in his vehicle after leaving for home,” wrote family friend Michael Quinton, who started the page. “EMTs were able to get his heart going as he was transported to the hospital. It was determine[d] he had a heart attack.”

“After many scans and second opinions it was determined he had no brain function. His wife of 38 years had to make the toughest decision. Stan Shaw passed yesterday 3/22/21 leaving behind his wife, children, and grandchildren,” he added. “Stan dedicated 50 years in law enforcement, protecting his community and trying to steer folks onto a better path.”

“Any funds raised will help support a memorial service as well as his widow as medical bills come in. She will also be taking time away from work to process what has happened,” Quinton concluded. “I would forever be grateful if we could come together and take some of the burden off of her during this time.”

WVLT reported that Shaw initially retired as a chief deputy for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office over a decade ago, but this did not last long. Not satisfied with retirement, Shaw returned to law enforcement to work as a deputy for Hamblen County Sheriff’s Office about one month later.

“He went about a month without working in law enforcement and decided he couldn’t do it. He loved being a cop way too much,” said Rhea Shaw Grebenik, Shaw’s daughter. “Sitting at home wasn’t working and he wanted to help people.”

She went on to say that her father was always looking out for others, especially those he encountered while on the job.

“He believed in second chances,” she explained “So, if he arrested you or came in contact with you, or you had been arrested, he was one of the officers who would sit down with you and counsel you.”

After a half a century serving the public, Shaw planned on officially retiring and doing the things he loved.

“He was going to go enjoy his wife and dog, and fishing with me and my husband and kids and woodworking and stuff,” Shaw Grebenik said. “He served his community up until his dying day and I’m proud of him for that.”

Join the Discussion

Comments are currently closed.