Prince Andrew got some bad news on Monday when Virginia Roberts Giuffre, an accuser of the late billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, filed a lawsuit against him. Giuffre has previously accused Andrew of sexually abusing her at Epstein’s New York City home when she was under the age of 18.
The BBC reported that in her lawsuit, Giuffre claimed that Andrew engaged in sexual acts without her consent, knowing how old she was and “that she was a sex-trafficking victim.” The lawsuit went on to say that the “extreme and outrageous conduct” continues to cause Giuffre “significant emotional and psychological distress and harm.”
“In this country no person, whether president or prince, is above the law, and no person, no matter how powerless or vulnerable, can be deprived of the law’s protection,” court documents state. “Twenty years ago Prince Andrew’s wealth, power, position, and connections enabled him to abuse a frightened, vulnerable child with no one there to protect her. It is long past the time for him to be held to account.”
Giuffre told Fox News that she wants to hold Andrew “accountable.”
“Today my attorney filed suit against Prince Andrew for sexual abuse under the Child Victims Act,” Giuffre said. “As the suit lays out in detail, I was trafficked to him and sexually abused by him.”
“I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me,” she added. “The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions. I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but to reclaim one’s life by speaking out and demanding justice.”
“I did not come to this decision lightly,” Giuffre continued. “As a mother and a wife, my family comes first – and I know that this action will subject me to further attacks by Prince Andrew and his surrogates – but I knew if I did not pursue this action, I would be letting them and victims everywhere down.”
Buckingham Palace has yet to comment on this lawsuit, but the palace has previously denied the claims made against Andrew by Giuffre.
“It is emphatically denied that The Duke of York had any form of sexual contact or relationship with Virginia Roberts,” the palace has said. “Any claim to the contrary is false and without foundation.”
“The Duke of York unequivocally regrets his ill-judged association with Jeffrey Epstein. Epstein’s suicide left many unanswered questions, particularly for his victims,” the palace added. “The Duke deeply sympathizes with those affected who want some form of closure. It is his hope that, in time, they will be able to rebuild their lives. The Duke is willing to help any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations if required.”
“The Duke has already stated that he did not see, witness or suspect any behavior of the sort that subsequently led to Jeffrey Epstein’s arrest and conviction,” the statement continued. “He deplores the exploitation of any human being and would not condone, participate in, or encourage any such behavior.”
Andrew himself has denied ever having had sex with Giuffre.
COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!