Earlier today, we reported that Prince Philip, the 99 year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, had passed away at Windsor Castle this morning. Now, sources are saying that the Queen is absolutely “heartbroken” over the death of her beloved husband of 73 years.
A source told US Weekly that the Queen personally called each of her four children – Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Andrew – on Friday morning to notify them about the death of their father. She is said to be “heartbroken” over Philip’s death, and her grandsons Prince William and Prince Harry are reportedly “devastated.”
“Prince Philip had been in poor health recently, but the loss was still a surprise,” the insider added.
As “funeral arrangements are already being put into place,” the Queen is hoping that her grandson Harry will make the trip to the United Kingdom for Philip’s funeral from his new home in California, where he has been living for the past year with his wife Meghan Markle and their 1 year-old son Archie.
“The queen wants Harry to be there,” the insider explained of the funeral. “Harry is hopeful that he’ll be able to return home to honor his grandfather, who he had a close bond with.”
The source went on to say that because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Philip’s funeral will likely “be small,” adding that there will be “only a select few” in attendance.
It is unlikely that Meghan will be joining Harry for the trip, given the fact that she is pregnant with their second child, a daughter. Meghan recently said that she called the Queen personally back in February to check in after it was reported that Philip had been hospitalized.
“I just picked up the phone and I called the Queen just to check in. I just called, that’s what we do,” she told Oprah Winfrey in her tell-all interview last month.
“In Loving Memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021,” the dedication reads. “Thank you for your service…you will be greatly missed.”