Prince Harry travelled back to the United Kingdom last week for the funeral of his beloved grandfather Prince Philip this past Saturday. While it had been speculated that Harry would decide to stick around for his grandmother Queen Elizabeth’s 95th birthday today, it has since been reported that he decided not to do so.

Page Six reported that the “conflicted” Harry decided that it was more important to travel home to California to see his pregnant wife Meghan Markle on Tuesday, rather than to stay an extra day for the Queen’s birthday. The 36 year-old royal reportedly flew back to California on an American Airlines that landed on Tuesday afternoon, and he was then driven to his mansion in Montecito.

Harry will reportedly now undergo the ten-day quarantine that is recommended for international travelers by the CDC amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.

This birthday was a difficult one for the Queen, as it comes less than two weeks after she lost her husband of 73 years.

“I have, on the occasion of my 95th birthday today, received many messages of good wishes, which I very much appreciate. While as a family we are in a period of great sadness, it has been a comfort to us all to see and to hear the tributes paid to my husband, from those within the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and around the world,” she said in a statement to mark her birthday.

“My family and I would like to thank you for all the support and kindness shown to us in recent days,” the Queen added. “We have been deeply touched, and continue to be reminded that Philip had such an extraordinary impact on countless people throughout his life.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by The Royal Family (@theroyalfamily)

Buckingham Palace announced on Friday, April 9 that Philip had passed away at the age of 99.

“It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle,” the palace said in a statement, according to US Weekly. “The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss. Further announcements will be made in due course.”

Recommended
Join the Discussion

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!