Prince Philip, the 99 year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, was finally released from the hospital on Tuesday after being there for 28 days.
Philip was seen leaving King Edward VII hospital in London, England before heading to Windsor Castle, where he will resume isolating with his wife. The BBC reported that Buckingham Palace confirmed that he had been released “following treatment for an infection and a successful procedure for a pre-existing condition”.
“His Royal Highness wishes to thank all the medical staff who looked after him… and everyone who has sent their good wishes,” the palace added.
Philip had been admitted to the hospital on February 16 to stay “on a doctor’s recommendation for a few days” because he reported feeling unwell, according to a statement released by Buckingham Palace. Closer Weekly reported that he was later “transferred” to another hospital after developing an infection.
“The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St. Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a preexisting heart condition,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement on March 1. “The duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week.”
While at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Philip underwent “a successful procedure for a preexisting heart condition,” the palace revealed in a statement on March 5. Philip reportedly remained in the high-tech specialized hospital “for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days” before heading back to King Edward VII’s Hospital.
After Philip’s release from the hospital, a spokesman for British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said that he “continues to wish Prince Phillip a speedy recovery.” The spokesman added that the prime minister was “of course” pleased to see Philip return to Windsor.
Prince Charles also publicly addressed his father getting out of the hospital, saying that it was “very good news” and that he was “thrilled” that his dad had gone home. Charles also confirmed that he has already spoken to Philip today.
This comes at a difficult time for the royal family, as it’s only been one week since Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s explosive tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.
During their interview, Meghan claimed that she was hit with racism from within the royal family, claiming that an unnamed senior royal questioned how dark her then-unborn son Archie’s skin would be. Harry refused to name this family member, only saying that it was neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip. Meghan also claimed that she felt so isolated as a royal that she considered committing suicide at one point during her pregnancy.
The royal family responded two days later in a brief statement released by Buckingham Palace.
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the royal family said in a statement obtained by Fox News. “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”