During Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s explosive tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month, they claimed that they legally got married three days before their actual televised ceremony. Now, however, their archbishop is confirming that this claim was not actually true.

Archbishop Justin Welby told Fox News that it is indeed his signature on Meghan and Harry’s wedding certificate, and he added that their legal wedding took place on Saturday, May 19, 2018, which was the day viewers around the world tuned in for the ceremony.

“If any of you ever talk to a priest, you expect them to keep that talk confidential. It doesn’t matter who I’m talking to. I had a number of private and pastoral meetings with the duke and duchess before the wedding. The legal wedding was on the Saturday,” Welby said.

“I signed the wedding certificate, which is a legal document, and I would have committed a serious criminal offense if I signed it knowing it was false,” he added. “So you can make what you like about it. But the legal wedding was on the Saturday. But I won’t say what happened at any other meetings,”

This comes weeks after Meghan claimed that she and Harry were married in a private ceremony in their garden three days before their televised ceremony. Harry then confirmed that the private ceremony included just himself, Markle and the Archbishop of Canterbury, who also officiated the May 19 ceremony.

Fox tried to contact Meghan and Harry for a comment on the latest revelation from the archbishop, but they declined to respond.

Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah was highly controversial in a variety of ways. Meghan claimed that she was hit with racism from within the royal family, claiming that an unnamed senior royal questioned how dark her then-unborn son Archie’s skin would be. Harry refused to name this family member, only saying that it was neither Queen Elizabeth nor Prince Philip. Meghan also claimed that she felt so isolated as a royal that she considered committing suicide at one point during her pregnancy.

The royal family responded two days later in a brief statement released by Buckingham Palace.

“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the royal family said in a statement obtained by Fox News. “The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately. Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved family members.”

Recommended
Join the Discussion

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!