The divorce battle between Hollywood A-list stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, which has been ongoing since 2016, just took a shocking turn when the actress claimed that she has “proof” that her ex committed domestic violence.
Entertainment Tonight reported that in new court documents that were filed on March 12, Jolie alleged that she is prepared to offer “proof and authority” against Pitt regarding her claim of domestic violence during the latest saga of their divorce trial. That same day, Jolie filed another court document under seal regarding testimony of their minor children.
Jolie and Pitt are the parents of six children: Maddox, 19, Pax, 17, Zahara, 16, Shiloh, 14, twins Knox and Vivienne, 12.
“This is just another case of Angelina changing the narrative when it suits her,” claimed a source familiar with the case. “Aside from the one accusation that she made in 2016 that was investigated and dismissed, there have never been any other records, police reports or even accusations until it suited her case. No one else knows what she might say now, but that background is important.”
Back in 2016, Pitt was cleared of child abuse claims by both the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Department of Child and Family Services. At the time, Jolie said that she was relieved that both investigations had come to an end.
“The job of the DCFS is to make sure the children are in a safe and secure situation,” she said in a statement released through a spokesperson. “As we said earlier this week, childcare professionals encouraged a legal agreement accepted and signed by both sides that was in the best interest of the children.”
“Angelina said from the beginning that she felt she had to take action for the health of the family and is relieved that after their 8-week involvement, the DCFS is now satisfied the safeguards are put in place that will allow the children to heal,” her statement continued.
In a 2017 interview with GQ Style, Pitt opened up more about these investigations as well as where his relationship stood with Jolie at the time.
“I was really on my back and chained to a system when Child Services was called,” he said. “And you know, after that, we’ve been able to work together to sort this out. We’re both doing our best. I heard one lawyer say, ‘No one wins in court — it’s just a matter of who gets hurt worse.’ And it seems to be true.”
“You spend a year just focused on building a case to prove your point and why you’re right and why they’re wrong, and it’s just an investment in vitriolic hatred,” he continued. “I just refuse. And fortunately my partner in this agrees. It’s just very, very jarring for the kids, to suddenly have their family ripped apart.”
Jolie and Pitt have been engaged in a bitter custody battle ever since their 2016 separation. Judging by Jolie’s latest court filings, it does not seem like this will be ending anytime soon.