‘DWTS’ Cast Reveal Backfires As Fans Demand Tom Bergeron Be Brought Back
On Wednesday morning, the cast of the new season of “Dancing With The Stars” was announced. This has since backfired on ABC, however, as it has only resulted in renewed calls for Tom Bergeron to be rehired as the show’s host.
Fans were stunned back in July when Bergeron was abruptly fired along with his cohost Erin Andrews despite the fact that he had hosted the program since it premiered back in 2005. He was replaced by supermodel Tyra Banks, who announced the new cast on “Good Morning America” today.
— Dancing with the Stars #DWTS (@DancingABC) September 2, 2020
Instead of expressing excitement over the cast, fans let it be known that they want Bergeron to be rehired immediately.
“Nope, sorry … don’t care if Tom’s not there!” one Twitter user wrote in response to the cast revealed. Another fan wrote, “I’m not happy at all about the host change. But I will be watching to support the pros and the new celebs! I don’t want the show to fail.”
“For the first time, this household will not be watching – no Tom no viewers in this house,” a third user vowed. A fourth person tweeted, “Don’t know. Don’t care. Won’t watch the show but will watch the ratings plummet. Bring back @Tom_Bergeron.”
Fans were stunned when Bergeron announced that he had been fired back in July.
“Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me,” he tweeted at the time. “It’s been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I’m grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?”
Just informed @DancingABC will be continuing without me. It's been an incredible 15 year run and the most unexpected gift of my career. I'm grateful for that and for the lifelong friendships made. That said, now what am I supposed to do with all of these glitter masks?
— Tom Bergeron (@Tom_Bergeron) July 13, 2020
In the wake of this announcement former contestants and pros on the show expressed their support for Bergeron and Andrews.
“I’ve texted back and forth with Tom. I would’ve never made that decision, obviously. I think Tom and Erin are the backbone of the show,” former “DWTS” champion Alfonso Ribeiro told US Weekly when news of the exits circulated. “I have no idea where they’re going to go and what changes they want to make and why and how these decisions were made. But I think people like myself will absolutely miss Tom and Erin. It’ll be hard for me to see the show in whatever new form it is.”
Derek Hough, a former pro dancer on the show, said he was “pretty shocked” by the news of the firings.
“My initial reaction — I guess I was pretty shocked. Tom Bergeron is such a staple of ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ and he’s a good friend of mine. We’re friends, and he’s a good man and he’s been there since the beginning, and he’s just a great guy,” said Hough. “But you also understand that we’re in the entertainment industry, nothing is certain, and there’s always these efforts to reinvigorate and switch things up. So, you look at that and go, that’s also understandable, I think.”