Harvey Weinstein Gets Good News In Court Thanks Amidst Coronavirus Pandemic

Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein got some rare good news in court this week when it was revealed that his extradition to Los Angeles, California to face new charges was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office confirmed to Page Six that COVID-19 was the reason behind the delay.

“The virus has delayed the processing of the extradition paperwork,” said L.A. County DA spokesman Greg Risling, adding that there was “no time estimate” on when Weinstein will be moved to California to face the additional charges. This comes as some rare good news for Weinstein, as the last thing he wants is to be brought across the country to face even more charges against him.

Weinstein, 68, was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier this year for rape and sexual assault, and he is being housed at the Wende Correctional Facility, a maximum security prison near Buffalo, New York. The additional charges he is facing in L.A. involve two separate alleged sexual assault incidents from 2013 along with an alleged incident that occurred at the Beverly Hills hotel in May 2010. The last incident has resulted in a sexual battery charge that was filed against Weinstein just last month.

“We are continuing to build and strengthen our case,” LA District Attorney Jackie Lacey said in a statement on Friday. “As we gather corroborating evidence, we have reached out to other possible sexual assault victims. If we find new evidence of a previously unreported crime, as we did here, we will investigate and determine whether additional criminal charges should be filed.”

The alleged victim in the 2010 incident had been interviewed by investigators back in October as a “possible corroborating witness” in the case against Weinstein. It was only last month that she was able to provide prosecutors with crucial evidence showing the assault happened within the ten year statute of limitations. Prosecutors have said that they have chosen not to move forward with two other allegations made against Weinstein in L.A., as the two victims do not want to testify against him.

Weinstein was known for being one of the most powerful men in Hollywood before numerous women came forward to accuse him of sexual assault and rape as the #MeToo movement gained traction in 2017.  Despite his conviction, he continues to deny all claims made against him, and he reportedly plans to appeal his case in New York.

The indefinite delay of Weinstein’s extradition may not seem like much, but he undoubtedly sees it as a victory. Given his older age and poor health, his 23 year prison sentence in New York is likely a death sentence. Should he be convicted on even more charges in L.A., there is virtually no way he will ever be a free man again, so his only chance of getting out of prison is remaining in New York and successfully appealing his conviction. Unfortunately for Weinstein, however, it’s doubtful that this will pay off for him.

Comments

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!