Essex County Dog Starts House Fire by Turning on Microwave

Dogs have been starting fires a lot lately — thank the lord for being able to watch our pets on video feeds.

A husky has been blamed for a house fire after turning on a microwave with food inside it, according to fire services in England.

The fire began on Monday afternoon at a home in Stanford-Le-Hope, around 25 miles east of London, when a dog inadvertently switched on the kitchen appliance, which had a packet of bread rolls inside, according to Essex County Fire and Rescue Service.

The owner, who was out of the property at the time, saw smoke coming from the kitchen through a camera feed on his mobile phone, the fire service said in a statement.

Geoff Wheal, watch manager at Corringham Fire Station, warned that the “very strange incident” could have been “more serious.”
When they arrived the kitchen was just smokey.

Wheal warned against storing food in the microwave when the machine is not in use. He added, “Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.” He said, “Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think, so please don’t run the risk.”

The dog was not hurt in the incident, the statement said.

Comments

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!