This Dog Deserves a Medal

A South Carolina dog named Curly is being praised as a hero for waking his owner, a veteran of the Vietnam War, as flames swallowed their home early Monday morning.

Monday morning, around 1 am, Curly nudged and pushed Rand until he woke up. To his dismay he saw heavy smoke in the hallway of his Beaufort home, the City of Beaufort and Town of Port Royal Fire Department wrote on Facebook.

Although nearly half of the house was burned down, firefighters were able to save the Brian Rand’s medals from his time in Vietnam – but the story here is the man credits the dog for saving his life.

Curly, the hero dog! HAPPY STORY BELOW!

Posted by City of Beaufort/Town of Port Royal Fire Department on Monday, October 7, 2019

Rand, who lives alone, grabbed Curly as he ran outside and called 911. The veteran said that his dog’s actions ultimately saved his life, as he suspects the roof would’ve collapsed on him if Curly hadn’t woken him up.

Comments

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!