Mother Warns Against Kissing Babies After Infant Son Is Hospitalized – ‘Don’t Be Selfish’
A New Jersey mother just took to Facebook to issue a warning to others about the dangers of kissing babies after her infant son was hospitalized.
Ariana DiGrigorio, who recently shared a photo of her son Antonio hooked up to several medical devices in a hospital crib, summed up her warning by writing: “Don’t be selfish. Don’t kiss babies. It’s not worth it.”
Ariana, a mother of two boys, had informed her followers back in February that her 8-month-old son was hospitalized with respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). This common virus causes mild, cold-like symptoms, and while most people recover in a week or two, it can be serious in infants and older adults.
On top of that, the virus is the top cause of bronchiolitis and pneumonia in children younger than 1 in the U.S., with symptoms that include a runny nose, decrease in appetites, coughing, sneezing, fever and wheezing. Symptoms of the virus in young infants include irritability, decreased activity and breathing difficulties.
One of the main ways the virus spreads is through direct contact, like kissing the face of a child.
“Please keep your mouths/breaths away from a baby’s face, hands and feet,” Ariana wrote on Facebook. “Don’t be the reasons a baby is hospitalized (or dead) because the baby was ‘just so cute I had to kiss her!’ It’s super awkward as a parent to have to tell someone (especially a family member or friend) to step away from your baby. It’s also super difficult to stop someone from kissing your child after they’re already going in for the kiss.”
“Don’t be selfish. Don’t kiss babies. It’s not worth it,” she added. “Also if you’re sick, please stay home. What might be a ‘sinus infection’ or ‘allergies’ to you, could translate to a life-threatening illness for a baby.”
Ariana concluded her warning with a photo of her infant son in the hospital, writing, “Flashback to AJ in the hospital at 8 months old with RSV.”