Check Out These Hacks for Keeping Your Pool Sparkling This Summer
People love being outdoors in the summertime. The weather is nice, the sun is shining, and it’s the perfect time of year to host a backyard barbecue and swimming pool party. But is your swimming pool up to par?
Nothing is better than cooling off after a long hot day by taking a dip in the pool, but for the adults responsible for taking care of them, pools can mean a ton of extra work.
Luckily, thanks to some very clever people, there are a few clever tricks that can help cleaning up your pool a lot easier and use up a lot less of your time. What’s even better, most of the things needed for these hacks can be found at your local grocery store.
1. Mr. Clean’s Magic Eraser Will Clean More Than Your House – You may have used one of these handy little sponges in your kitchen or bathroom. They’re amazing at removing nearly every kind of scum or dirt there is. That’s why they’re called magic erasers. But these little pieces of foam will clean your pool too. Just toss one of them into the skimmer bucket for your pool and watch what happens. If you don’t want to pay for the brand name you can buy melamine foam in bulk and cut it into smaller pieces.
2. Pantyhose Aren’t Just for the Office – A cheap pair of drugstore pantyhose can be used in a surprising way when it comes to cleaning your swimming pool. Pool skimmers are great for gathering leaves and other large debris, but they often miss the small stuff floating in the pool. That’s where the pantyhose come in. Wrap them around your skimmer and get a second layer of cleaning power to help stop the fine dirt and debris from getting in your filter.
3. A Little Helping Sand – If you have a sand filter on your pool, it can be even tougher to get the tiniest junk cleaned out. Try adding a scoop of diatomaceous earth, a naturally occurring sedimentary rock that is soft and can be crumbled easily into a powder. The beauty of using this is that it will help the sand in your filter from forming clumps, making an even stronger barrier to stop debris from getting through.
4. Add Tennis to Your Pool – Part of being outside and enjoying time at your pool is wearing sunscreen. However, this can leave an oily residue in your pool that you might not even be aware of. This can make your water cloudy and be an attractor for insects. Luckily, it also has an easy fix. Simply toss a tennis ball or two in the water. The fuzz on the ball will soak up all the oily film as it floats around in the water. It will also attract in pet or animal hair that might have found its way into your pool.
5. Get Rid of Pesky Insects – No one likes to be enjoying a dip in the pool only to find a stray wasp, bee, or other insect. A quick fix for bugs is to put dryer sheets in the filter baskets around the pool. Insects don’t like the scent and it will act as a whole pool of repellant. Another alternative is to buy geraniums or lemongrass and place them around the deck of the pool.
6. No One Likes Stains – A common complaints from pool owners is stains. Stains can be caused by scum build up, rust, lime and mineral marks, and even bacteria. These stains, however, can be remedied with things right in your house. Vinegar can be used to fight tough stains made of calcium build up. Lime juice will remove rust and metal stains. Another easy method to keep pool tiles clean is to add a bit of baking soda to the water instead of buying expensive alkalinity products.
With these amazing pool hacks, your pool can stay sparkling clean and clear the rest of the summer. Be sure to share these tips with your family and friends.