We probably all have a box of baking soda sitting in our cabinet, but do we know what to do with it? Of course, a few recipes call for it, but there are many more amazing uses for the white powdery substance that we probably have never heard of. Check out this list of 30 things that you probably didn’t know you could use baking soda for.
1. Face Scrub: Mix three parts baking soda with one part water to form a scrub to use on your face. It is an excellent exfoliator.
2. Clean Drains: Pour a bit of baking soda down your drain followed by a dash of vinegar. Push the plug into your sink and the mixture will clean any junk out of your drain in no time.
3. Wipe Away Burnt On Food: Add a few sprinkles of baking soda to soapy water when soaking a pan that is filled with burnt, stuck on food, and it will help loosen the mess so it is easier to clean.
4. Freshen the Litter Box: Add a few sprinkles of baking soda to your kitties’ litter box to help keep it smelling fresh.
5. Eliminate Carpet Stains: Baking soda won’t work on every stain, but it will work on most. Just sprinkle it on the stain, let sit a few minutes, and vacuum the stain away.
6. Clean Jacuzzi Jets: Jacuzzi jets can get stinky after a while. To fix the odor, fill the tub with hot water just past the jets, add two cups of baking soda to the water, and let it run for 10 minutes. The jets will be sparkling and won’t smell.
7. Freshen the Fridge: Refrigerators can be easy targets for odor. To remove the odors simply sit an open box of baking soda in the fridge overnight and by the next morning the odors will be gone.
8. Polish Silverware: Line a baking dish with aluminum foil, sprinkle in one tablespoon of baking soda, add 1/2 cup of vinegar and one cup of boiling water, then drop in the soiled silverware. The gunk should start coming off almost immediately.
9. Make Toothpaste: You can find recipes all over the internet to make your own toothpaste using baking soda, but to add a boost of whitening power to your regular toothpaste, just sprinkle on a bit of baking soda and brush as normal.
10. Make Natural Deodorant: You can also find recipes to make all natural deodorant from baking soda, but for quick freshening simply dust under your arms with baking soda.
11. Erase Marks on Walls: Sprinkle a bit of baking soda on a damp sponge then use it to wipe away dirt and marks from your walls.
12. Keep the Septic Tank Regular: Flushing one cup of baking soda down your toilet each week will help keep your septic tank at optimal pH.
13. Fight Grease Fires: Of course if you have a fire in your kitchen you should always call 911, but for small fires, baking soda might do the trick. Turn off the gas or electric to the stove then throw handfuls of baking soda on the fire to extinguish the flames.
14. Freshen Carpet: Sprinkle baking soda on your carpet, let it sit for 15 minutes, then vacuum to eliminate nasty odors from your carpet.
15. Eliminate Odors From Garbage Cans: When you replace your bin liner, sprinkle a bit of baking soda in the bottom of the can to keep odors at bay.
16. Clean Grout: Mix baking soda and hydrogen peroxide into a paste then spread onto stained grout. Scrub with a toothbrush to eliminate stains and mildew.
17. De-stink Mattress: To freshen your mattress just sprinkle baking soda on your mattress, let sit a few minutes, then vacuum the odors away.
18. Keep Green Beans Green: Add a pinch of baking soda to the water when you cook green beans and it will keep the vegetable from turning brown as it cooks.
19. Clean Hair: To remove buildup from your hair, add one tablespoon of baking soda to your regular shampoo and wash as usual. Doing this monthly will help keep your hair clean and healthy.
20. Remove Grease Stains: If your car has left grease stains on your garage floor simply sprinkle baking soda onto the stain, let it sit for 15 minutes, then sweep the stain away.
21. Mix With Tea: Stir a pinch of baking soda into your tea and it will make it a tad sweeter and smoother.
22. Scrub Fruits and Vegetables: Use a damp sponge with a sprinkle of baking soda to clean your fruits and vegetables and you’ll have peace of mind knowing that they’re clean when you eat them.
23. Whiten Nails: Mix three parts baking soda with one part water to make a paste. Put the paste on your nails and let it sit for ten minutes before rinsing off to make your nails white and clean again.
24. Freshen Food Containers: Plastic food containers can really trap odors. To eliminate the odor, add a bit of baking soda to the water when cleaning them and the odors will be gone.
25. Deodorize Sports Bags: Sports equipment and bags can hold onto some hefty odors. To eliminate the odors just sprinkle a bit of baking soda in the bottom and let it sit overnight.
26. Fight Itchy Skin: To fight itchy skin from bug bites and other skin conditions, make a paste with baking soda and water and rub onto the itchy skin, or draw a bath and add one cup of baking soda to the water.
27. Clean a Coffee Pot: Having a dirty coffee pot can really change the way your morning brew tastes. To clean a stained pot, simply place 1/4 cup of baking soda into a full pot of water and let soak overnight.
28. Whiten Laundry: To keep your white laundry white, add one cup of baking soda into your regular laundry detergent.
29. Kill Weeds: Sprinkle baking soda at the base of the weed and its guaranteed to kill the weed.
30. Make Mouthwash: Mix one teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and use it as a mouthwash to eliminate stinky breath. This will also relieve painful canker sores.